Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Raw in the Winter Time.

Typing this post I realized my fingers were very very cold. This is partially due to the fact that my dad thoroughly enjoys lowering the temperature in the house, Canada's icy reputation, AND my lazy spring break lounging skillz.

For some reason I find it way easier eating raw during winter months than any other time of the year. I'm not sure if this is because of winter break which allows me more recipe testing slash relaxing time, either way I know some people do not find it as easy and that's why I'm here to help! Let this post move you to building and creating your own stash. What I mean is, a giant cupboard/box/shelf/mental space of things you have compiled (recipes or foods) that will make it easier to be raw--things you can have, choose from, and enjoy.

#1: Warming Spices. DO NOT. UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF SPICES.

(I'm sure you've heard this before, but I'll do a quick review.) During winter months, using spices such as ginger, (garlic, horseradish, curry---not my fave), cayenne pepper, cinnamon, and nutmeg will encourage circulation and blood flow to important parts of your body, keeping you warm. I absolutely love using cinnamon, I sprinkle it everwhere, in fact I leave dust trails of it behind me when I walk. Cayenne pepper and the other more..I'll call them harsher spices are great if you experiment first. Find out what works for you, and what doesn't. Garlic does not work for me, cayenne pepper on the other hand does. Even sprinkling the TINIEST bit in your smoothies will warm you up without overpowering the taste of the drink.

#2: Hot Drinks.

Teas, Apple Cider, Nut milks, water, shpicy soups, etc. Don't be afraid to warm up your liquids, make sure you watch them carefully, and stir on the lowest heat. It's a treat to have on a cold night, or even during the day. My favourite winter drink is made with a simple blender and a few dying apples and results in peel chips (dehydrated), apple sauce (un-strainable pulp), and "cider".

Peel and slice 4 small apples(macintosh..yummay)
1.5 cups water
BLEND.

*use a giant metal strainer/paint strainer/nut milk bag over a small pot and warm it up. This is surprisingly satisfying and perfectly sweet. ADD cinnamon, ginger, or nutmeg. THEN CHUG. (kidding...sipping is fine too).


#3: Grains...yes, grains. Did you know these are a part of a balanced raw vegan diet?

Some grains you can experiment with, (soak, sprout, and/or dehydrate) are: quinoa, raw oats, chia seeds, wild rice, buckwheat (FAVE), and millet.

Post your favourite winter drink/recipe or tip below!

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I don't do a whole lot of raw in the winter time or at least, not as a main meal but still enjoy juices, smoothies and raw fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog and your most recent post. I am fairly well new to raw. About 2 years. I am approximently 90% raw. My raw journey started also as an experiment for 2 weeks.....and now..well the rest is history.

    My pantry: I keep adding to my raw pantry. Nuts, seeds and yes, spices. I recently added cayenne pepper to a raw chocolate bar recipe I was making...yum!
    I also add cinnamon to my almond milk.

    Thank you for following my on my blog. That was a nice surprise.
    My best,
    Frannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's pretty simple but I've been enjoying a hot cacao drink all morning with vanilla extract, agave and a LITTLE dash of sea salt. It's getting me off of coffee! Yours look so good, I'll have to try making them!
    Take it easy,
    -Eric-

    ReplyDelete
  4. this post is great! i decided to dive head first into spices that ive never tried recently....and ive loved every bit of it.

    if you leave a trail of cinnamon behind you, i probably leave a trail of garlic behind me;)

    ReplyDelete